If you’re like most people, you have made one or more resolutions for the New Year, such as stopping smoking, watching what you eat or exercising more. All of these are great ways to take charge of your health. Here’s one more: Call your doctor today to schedule an annual checkup for you and your family!
Why do you need an annual checkup?
An annual checkup allows your doctor to review the status of your health. It is a chance to find health problems early, when they may be easier to treat. Your annual checkup also gives you the chance to talk to your doctor about health concerns and to ask questions you may have. It may help to write down your questions and concerns beforehand and review them during your office visit.
What should you expect at an annual checkup?
During your checkup, your doctor may suggest shots, tests and screenings based on your age, gender and health history. They may include:
- Body Mass Index (BMI) based on your height and weight
- Blood pressure testing
- Looking at medicines you are taking
- Blood and/or urine tests, which may include cholesterol or sexually transmitted disease (STD) testing. If you have diabetes, your doctor may perform a blood test to check your blood sugar, urine tests to check your kidneys and refer you for a dilated eye exam.
- Colon, breast and cervical cancer screenings
- Depression screening
- Flu shot, if you haven’t recently received one
Be sure to ask your doctor which services are right for you.
What should you do after your annual checkup?
Your doctor may advise you on medicines to take, screenings and changes to diet and exercise. Follow this advice – it will help protect your health this year and in the years to come.
Don’t put off your annual checkup. Start your year off the right way by calling your doctor’s office today and scheduling appointments for you and your family. EmblemHealth’s partner, AdvantageCare Physicians, has 36 offices in the New York metro area. To learn more about AdvantageCare Physicians or to schedule an appointment, visit acpny.com.