Open enrollment is a time when most individuals and families can enroll in a new health care plan. Here are some helpful dates you should know:
- November 1, 2015: Open Enrollment started — it was the first day you could have enrolled in a 2016 insurance plan through the NY State of Health marketplace (NYSOH). Coverage can start as soon as January 1, 2016.
- December 15, 2015: Last day to choose a health plan for new coverage to start January 1, 2016.
- January 1, 2016: 2016 coverage starts for those who enrolled in a health plan by December 15.
- January 15, 2016: Last day to enroll in a plan for coverage to start February 1, 2016.
- January 31, 2016: Last day to choose a health plan on NYSOH for 2016 coverage. Enrollments between January 16 and January 31 take effect March 1, 2016.
Note: If you qualify for Medicaid, Essential Plan or Child Health Plus, you can enroll throughout the year.
Read related articles:
Do You Know Your Health Plan Better Than the Average New Yorker?
Affordability, Benefits, Choice
New to Health Insurance? The Top 4 Questions to Ask
Understand Your Health
5 Things to Consider When Choosing a Health Plan