You’ve probably been hearing a lot about the Ketogenic “Keto” Diet lately, and you may be wondering if it’s right for you. But, before you start the Keto diet (or any diet), make sure you understand its pros and cons.
How does it work?
The Keto Diet is very low in carbohydrates, moderate to high in protein, and very high in fat. Normally, your body fuels itself by converting carbohydrates to glucose, also known as blood sugar, but when you eat less carbs, your body starts getting stored glucose from your liver and muscles. Once that extra supply of Glucose is depleted, it breaks down stored fat to make an alternative fuel called “ketone bodies” – hence the name “The Keto Diet”.
What are the pros?
- Cuts out many foods that lack nutritional value – like sweets, sugary drinks, refined grains.
- Includes a variety of vegetables that are rich in nutrients and healthy plant chemicals.
- Includes foods that are rich in heart-healthy fats.
What are the cons?
- Cuts out some foods that offer health benefits – like whole grains and certain fruits & vegetables high in carbohydrates.
- May be high in unhealthy saturated fats from foods like fatty meats, butter, and cheese.
- Can be risky for people with certain health conditions, like kidney disease & osteoporosis.