National Muffin Day is a great time to celebrate the wonders of flax and chia seeds. Here’s a gluten-free recipe that can help you prevent heart disease and diabetes.
Tools you’ll need:
- 12-cup large muffin pan
- Two bowls
- Stand or hand mixer
- One grater
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 3/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 3/4 cup dry oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups grated carrot
- 2 cups grated apple
- 3/4 cup whole milk or unsweetened almond milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- Grate carrots and apples.
- Make oat flour by grinding oats in blender.
- In a large bowl, mix gluten-free flour, ground flax seed, chia seeds, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs and vanilla. Mix well and slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring.
- When the wet and dry ingredients are combined, add the grated carrot and apple and stir.
- Evenly divide the batter in a nonstick muffin pan.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 5 to 10 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Super Healthy Kids.