By Nicolas Gomes, Assistant Actuary at EmblemHealth
This quinoa bowl is healthy, easy and great for breakfast!
Meet quinoa. Pronounced “keen-wah,” it cooks and tastes like a grain, but is gluten-free. It’s a member of the same food family as spinach, Swiss chard and beets. It’s environmentally friendly, inexpensive, easy to prepare and versatile.
- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup almonds, walnuts, or pecans, crushed
- 4 tablespoons peanut butter
- 4 tablespoons chocolate chips
- 1 banana, sliced
- Rinse quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer under cold water for two minutes
- Cook quinoa:
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil
- Add quinoa, cover with lid
- Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes
- Blend milk, vanilla, nuts and peanut butter until smooth
- Stir milk mixture into quinoa pot, simmer on low heat to desired consistency
- Serve in bowl, top with chocolate chips and banana
This recipe yields about 4 servings.
Recipe adapted from awhiskandtwowands.com.